Final Update 25 dec 2012 Over 1000 dead. Despair Sweeps bopha Survivors http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/12/201212237565413785.html
Super Typhoon BOPHA with 275kph winds to hit Philippines.. update the massacre toll has risen to at least 500 with more than 400 others reported missing and about quarter of a million people made homeless. At least three cities on Mindanao’s east coast remain cut off after bridges collapsed and roads were swept away by floodwater.
As they become more common, climate related disasters may allow prosecution of the big Oil Companies, which they could be sued for billions for willfully dumping CO2 in the air for profit, with clean alternatives available.
You cannot say that one climate massacre is caused only by climate change, but statistically we know that they are. Just as a child with thyroid cancer living next to Fukushima may have contracted it by chance, but if the cancer rate has increased 1000%, then nine out of ten victims are caused by the Nuclear meltdown.
To take that analogy further, if ten possible victims of Climate Chaos sued Exxon, nine of them would be real victims, only we can’t say which nine….
And in many cases the evidence is clear. Super Typhoon Bhopa/Pablo for instance, which massacred hundreds and caused unbelievable damage in a few hours, was I believe the first ever Category 5 Typhoon in known history to hit the Phillipines. And in December, when the season is finishing. WHY? One of the many variables is key.. the SST Sea Surface Temperature was still way over 30C for thousands of miles around! And that is being pinned down with overwhelming evidence to Climate Change.
The possibility is growing that innocent victims, like those who survived in Mindanao, could take a class action Law Suit in the United States against the Oil and Coal companies, for willfully dumping CO2 in our atmosphere for profit (they have known the problem since the 1980s). One aim would be to force the ‘ruling’ Corporations to take the problem seriously if its not already too late.
To win such an action we would need to prove at least the following:
1) That the actions of these Climate Criminals is willfull. That they have known what they were doing for decades. There is ample evidence of this I think.
2) To prove that they have deliberately covered up evidence and sabotaged climate mitigation in a sustained and highly financed campaign. This evidence is gradually leaking out and seems like a true scandal.
4) To show that the corporations had green alternatives they actively and knowingly suppressed or chose to ignore. There is ample evidence also of this. We have plenty of cheap renewable energy available., ( another scandal is the existence of Green 100% CO2-free ‘gasoline’, adapting cars to run on cheap pollution free ammonia, see blog here http://co2freefuelexistsnow.wordpress.com/
But of course Climate Change victims are the poor, women and kids, country people, etc, and even more destitute and helpless after a disaster. A Court Case for Climate Damage in the US could only work if it were sponsored by Climate Change Mitigation and Divestment campaigns in that country. Various great campaigns already exist, and of course not all rich Nth Americans are bad people.
I’m just one blogger. If you’d like to help you could pass on this idea to those who might act.!
- This photo of a fishing village below is one of many in line for a direct hit from Bopha’s (Pablo’s) 275kph winds. Photo from Google Earth published here one day before Bopha struck, 3/12/2012 . Notice the houses on waterfront! Its next to CATEEL, Bayan ng Cateel, Mindanao, not far from Iligan city which was ravaged last year.. Super-typhoons can only form over 30C water.. Climate Change is to blame. The billionaire Climate Criminals of the Oil Companies sit back in total luxury while their victims in Caleel Bay face annihalation. 6th Dec…………………………………….. last Update.. unfortunately we were right. Cateel was devastated with at least 28 dead, hopefully our report/warning , which came out 1 day before and was read by over 3000 people on the net, helped some people escape to safety. .. ”Davao Oriental Governor Corazon Malanyaon said initial reports indicated that in one town, Cateel, 95% of the buildings had been damaged. Twenty-three people had drowned or were buried under fallen trees or buildings there, she said…..” …..As they become more common, climate related disasters may allow prosecution of the big Oil Companies, as they could be sued for billions for dumping CO2 in the air for profit, with clean alternatives available.
- Will Philippines negotiator’s tears change our course on climate change? | John Vidal (guardian.co.uk)
George Monbiot: latest on Climate Change http://www.monbiot.com/2012/12/03/forbidden-planet/
Demand CO2-free gasoline It exists NOW http://co2freefuelexistsnow.wordpress.com/
Poor countries demand action at UN climate talks (utsandiego.com)
Exxon Hates Your Children (ecowatch.org)
Super Typhoon BOPHA with 275kph winds to hit Philippines.. update (thefreeonline.wordpress.com)
Super Typhoon Bhopa (Pablo) to destroy Village..photo (thefreeonline.wordpress.com)
A Storm Brews in Doha (ipsnews.net)