Texts in En | It | Tr | De | Fr
Athens: anarchist squat Villa Amalias raided by riot police
At approximately 07:00 GMT+2 on December 20th, riot police raided the anarchist squat Villa Amalias in Athens.
Eight people were detained inside the building, while the police are now searching in the presence of an ninth person who was also in the building at the time of the raid and who is acting as witness to the search. It is expected that this person will also be detained at the end of the operation.
It is still unclear whether or not the police intend to evict the squat.
People are already gathering in solidarity outside the squat in big numbers……
More information as it comes.
UPDATE, 17.35 GMT+2 An anarchist assembly has been called for 8pm tonight (Athens time) at the Athens School of Economics for updates on today’s events.
UPDATE, 16.15 GMT+2 Solidarity gatherings have already been called in the cities of Thessaloniki, Patras,Heraclion, Karditsa and Veroia, with more added to the list by the hour. About 200 anarchists and people in solidarity are gathered outside Villa Amalias itself.
UPDATE, 14.20 GMT+2 The seven anarchists who were detained earlier at the Athens Town hall (see update at 11.35 GMT+2) have just been released. The eight people who were detained inside Villa Amalias when the police raided this morning are still under detention.
UPDATE 11:55 GMT+2 Villa Amalias has issued an immediate call for people to gather outside the building in solidarity.
UPDATE 11:35 GMT+2 There are unconfirmed reports that riot
UPDATE, 22.35 GMT+2 Approximately 1500-2000 anarchists marched from the Athens School of Economics toward Villa Amalias after the assembly (see previous update). There is a call for a gathering at the courthouse tom
Villa Amalia LIVES !! Finally all arrested are released though some have charges
- Greece: Police raided occupation of Villa Amalias, Athens (anhsyxia.wordpress.com)
- Riot cops raid Villa Amalias, oldest Greek squat (indybay.org)
- State Repression. (radicalglasgowblog.blogspot.com)
- I am an Anarchist living in Athens, Greece. VivetaMentzelopou blog (vivetamentzelopoulou.wordpress.com) Inside Story from Greece.. Solidarity needed
- Greek heroes fight fascist and police thugs
- Greek Uprising: Defense Ministry stormed. Airport Occupied..
- The DOOM LOOP: banks and States in Death Embrace !