Athens squat defies police raid
An attempt to crush Greece’s oldest anarchist squat, Lelas Karagianni 37, was defeated on Tuesday January 15 when it was reoccupied later the same day.
At about 12.00pm, cops raided the famous squat, reports Contra Info.
Supporters and neighbours gathered at Amerikis square and then outside the squat, trying to prevent the eviction.
There were several comrades chanting slogans on the rooftop of the building that were caught by the police. Also, two supporters were beaten by cops on the street and detained as well. Heavy repressive forces were deployed downtown, plus a police helicopter.
Last weekend saw a 10000 strong Athens protest in solidarity with squatters, as this video shows.
One of the biggest anarchist/anti-authoritarian demonstration took place today in Greece. Over 10,000 people, mainly collectivities from various occupations, marched in Athens, expressing their solidarity to the 92 people arrested on Wednesday after the re-eviction of Villa Amalias squat, who have been charged with false categories; public disorder and face covering. The demonstrators started from Propylaea of Athens University and marched towards the courthouse of Evelpidon where they remained waiting for the decision of the attorney general. Later on, the authorities announced that the 92 arrested squatters are about to be released.
In Thessaloniki around 2.500 marched in the city’s main streets, shouting anti-state slogans and, at the same time, send messages of solidarity with the squatters of Villa Amallias and Skaramaga, which is another occupation being threatened with eviction.
- Villa Amalia re-eviction: 10,000 demonstrate! (thefreeonline.wordpress.com)
- Police Attack rallies Anarchists: Villa Amalias, Athens (thefreeonline.wordpress.com)
- Statement by the Villa Amalias squatters held in the police HQ in Athens (indybay.org)
- Solidarity march for Villa Amalias occupation in Thessaloniki …
- Sydney: Solidarity with Villa Amalias | disaccords
- Newswire :: Solidarity with Villa Amalias in London –
Contra Info Cologne: Solidarity with Villa Amalias,
- Self-style anarchists burst into ET3 radio station (ekathimerini.com)