reblogged with thanks from: http://libcom.org/news/mayday-2014-reports-around-world-01052014
With International Workers’ Day taking place in a world riven by economic crisis, we’re sharing short reports, pictures and videos on May Day protests and celebrations around the world.
Below are some short reports, pics or videos of May Day protests. Let us know if you’ve seen any more!
The tweet above says “There’s nothing to celebrate for the precarious, students and workers”.Istanbul, Turkey
Massive fighting between police and protesters as upwards of 30 groups defy a ban on demonstrations.
Pnomh Penh, Cambodia
Around 1,000 factory workers demonstrate against low wages, and are attacked by police with five workers injured.
InPhnomPehn, civilian auxiliary police, armed with clubs and often used by the government to break up protests, turned on the demonstrators after opposition leaders spoke to the crowd of nearly 1,000. The assaults appeared to be random and limited, and were over in less than an hour.At least five people were hurt, said Om Sam Ath, an officer of the human rights group Licadho.
“These security forces seem to be addicted to beating people,” he said. “Every time they disperse protesters, they beat people, and not one of them has been arrested.”
- May Day around the world: Parades in Russia, violence in Turkey, and more
- Tear gas at Turkish May Day protests, Red Square rally draws 100,000
- Remembering Haymarket: May Day and the Fight for Eight-Hours
- Integral CoOps,15M and Occupy.. an embryo for Post Capitalism?
- Workers of the World Unite on May Day – Liveblog (II)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)