Trump Threatens Contraceptive Access for Millions of Women

‘Appalling’ Draft Rule by Trump Threatens Contraceptive Access for Millions of Women

The proposal, if finalized, would be ‘a license to discriminate and an affront to all women,’ said Gretchen Borchelt of the National Women’s Law Center.

The draft regulation, obtained by Vox, is dated May 23, and “would significantly overhaul the birth control mandate as it had been implemented by the Obama administration,” write Dylan Scott and Sarah Kliff.Image result for trump to block birth control

They note that it “would allow any employer to request an exemption based on moral or religious objections. This would widen the exemption to apply to any company from a small, religiously affiliated business to a large, publicly traded company. ”

The company would not have to notify the government if it was seeking an exemption, Vox adds.

The Guardian writes that Trump   laid the groundwork for rolling back the mandate early this month when he signed an executive order directing his administration “to address conscience-based objections” to preventive care for women.

At the 4 May signing ceremony, in the White House rose garden, he singled out for special praise the Little Sisters of the Poor. The group, a religious order of nuns, was the face of the legal challenge to the contraception mandate before the supreme court.

“With this executive order, we are ending the attacks on your religious liberty,” Trump said……..Image result for trump to block birth control

Calling the proposed rule “broad-based, appalling, and discriminatory,” Gretchen Borchelt, vice president for reproductive rights and health at the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC), said it threatens to take away access to no-cost birth control coverage for hundreds of thousands of women.

“Giving permission to employers and insurance companies for their religious or moral beliefs to override women’s access to basic healthcare, which is critical to their economic security, is a license to discriminate and an affront to all women,” Borchelt said.

The Center, ACLU, and NWLC vowed to fight the effort in court.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

 

2 thoughts on “Trump Threatens Contraceptive Access for Millions of Women”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s